With wedding season in full bloom, I am often asked, “What is modern fashion etiquette for a wedding guest?
Today’s wedding dress codes can be a challenge to navigate. We want to dress to impress, but don’t want upstage the bride. How can we find the right balance? Read on for my wedd-iquette“I do’s”:
Tip 1 – Wear White!
We’ve all heard the rule that you should NEVER wear white to a wedding. That’s only partially true.
While there is only one person allowed to wear white head to toe, guests CAN wear white without upstaging the bride — as long as it’s worn in small doses. Here are my tricks for avoiding a fashion faux pas.
Try printed dresses that incorporate white:
1) Marni Watercolor dress, Now $529.50 (70% off)
2) Nicole Miller Drape Back Dress, Now $170.90 (55% off)
3) Twenty8Twelve Silk Chiffon dress, Now $120 (70% off)
4) Tibi Lace Shift Dress, Now $147.50 (60% off)
5) Ella Moss Striped Maxi Dress, Now $91.20 (52% off)
Or add hints of white with accessories:
6) Dolce & Gabbana Crochet Pumps, Now $436 (20% off)
7) Alexander McQueen Classic Skull Clutch, Now $870 (30% off)
8) Kate Space necklace, Sold Out
9) Michael Kors Patent Platform Sandals, Now $139.99 (67% off)
10) Lanvin Silk Satin Pochette, Now $269.50 (65% off)
If you’re dying to wear a white solid, just break it up: wear white only on top or bottom and complement it with a bright color:
11) Marc Jacobs Long Embroidered Dress, Now $1470 (70% off)
12) Opening Ceremony Button-Back Dress, Now $352 (50% off)
Tip 2 – Pastels are Powerful
Another great array of wedding-appropriate colors to try are PASTELS. They’re soft and flattering, but they’re definitely not the bride’s color.
13) Tibi Strapless Dress, Now $244.30 (65% off)
14) Marc Jacobs Ruffled Pearl Embellished Satin Dress, Now $1,000, (60% off)
Tip 3 – Black Tie Alternative: The Evening Short
Take a cue from the well-dressed men in your life: stand out fromthat sea of chiffon in a pair of structured shorts. Try classic black, or be daring in sequins:
15) Stella McCartney Tailored Shorts, Now $267 (65% off)
16) Rag and Bone Cuffed Shorts, Now $92 (65% off)
17) Marc Jacobs High-Waisted Shorts, Now $280 (60% off)
Tip 4 – Put Your Best Foot Forward
Whether your dancing all night or leaping to catch the bouquet, 4-inch stilettos can make it tricky to move with grace. Instead, kick up your heels in these *embellished flats*:
18) Loeffler Randall Flat Twist Sandals, Now $188 (36% off)
19) Miu Miu Peep Toe Flats, Now $504 (20% off)
20) Giuseppe Zanotti Suede Ballerina Flats, Now $299.25 (65% off)
If you feel you must add height, try a comfortable evening wedge like one of these:
21) Michael Kors Wiley Wedge, Now $132 (52% off)
22) Dolce Vita Sandals, Now $83.25 (55% off)
23) Elizabeth and James Metal Strap Sandals, Now $275.99 (30% off)
So don’t panic when the next invitation arrives. With these simple tips, you can walk down the aisle in style – and not end up banned from future guest lists.